FAQ #1 - What should I have on my website?Sep 10th, 2010 3:09 pm
I'm going to be making my debut into the blogosphere with a series on Frequently Asked Questions. It's only appropriate considering I'm the one that answers the phone. As a result, I answer questions. Frequently.
This week, I will tackle a question that is asked at the beginning of most projects: What should I have on my website? This question isn't very easy to answer in a general sense. It really depends on what the ultimate purpose of your website is. Is your website there to inform, entertain, or sell products?
Below is a list or a guideline of different items you could include in your website to interact with, educate, or entertain your users. There are definitely more, but this is a good start:
- Content: This one is obvious, but I need to mention it. Content should be concise and include information that your clients need to make an educated decision about your company.
- Pictures: Another obvious one, but it's something you need to consider from the beginning. If you don't have high quality or professional pictures, hire someone. Photos that are taken of your business or products always have more of an impact than stock photos.
- Forms: Even if your website is a static brochure site, you should include a way for customers to interact with you. A simple contact form is the easiest way to do this.
- Links: Links to any social media you may be using: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. In addition, include links to other resources pertinent to your industry.
- Videos: People are more likely to watch a short video than they are to read copy. It can be a great way to show demonstrations of a product, tutorials, or testimonials.
- Communication Tools: Forums, Polls, Instant Chat, Reviews, etc. Including these on your website encourages your customers to interact with you, and shows that their opinion matters.
- Blog: Not everybody wants to blog, and not everybody needs to blog. But in some industries, it can be a good way to become an "expert" in your field.
Hopefully this list can help get you started with what should be on your website. I will be back next Friday to answer another question. If you have a question you would like answered, send me an e-mail. If your question is featured on my blog, I will send you a free t-shirt!